WC Wyatt

I wanted to introduce you to one of my teachers in college. His name was WC Wyatt. I do not know what WC stood for. We joked it was Water Closet, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't true. Mr. Wyatt was actually a really sweet guy that I had a lot of affection for in a Pillsbury Doughboy sort of way. He taught math and science so I would trek over to Taylor (the math and science building) for his classes.

Why did I like Mr. Wyatt. Because he was funny! Great moments included him shaking his head at one of my classmates as she came in burnt to a crisp. Let me see if I can capture in writing his southern Georgia accent.

"May-ree Stew-wart, thuh Suh-un is naught yo-wore frey-end."
Translation:
"Mary Stewart, the sun is not your friend."

Even writing in regular English does not diminish the humor.

And what of Mary Stewart when she came in to class late?

(Forgive me, writing in southern George-ese is just too hard.)
Shaking his head as she tried to ease in silently.
"A dillar, a dollar, a ten o'clock scholar. What makes you come so soon? You used to come at ten o'clock and now you come at noon."

I know he didn't invent the saying, but his brilliance was in using it to shame those of us who hit the snooze one too many times for that 8:15 class.

I think WC begs the question what makes a good teacher? What is it that makes us remember them ten, twenty, even fifty years later? I don't think it is the subject matter. I think it can be their passion for their subject. I think it can also be their passion for teaching as well. Obviously, Mr. Wyatt had some affection for us as students. Otherwise why would he put up with us being late and breaking beakers in lab and not turning in homework?

For all of our eye rolling and snickering in his class, I'm a better person for knowing him. He obviously had a sense of humor, and he was kind as well. Also, I do not think he was appreciated as he should have been. The really good ones rarely are.

Here's to you Mr. W.C. Wyatt. Thank you for your goodness and for putting up with me. Thank you for your southern charm. You are truly a gentleman. It was a privilege to know you.