Camp Crystal Lake

I just got back from camp. It was family camp which means moms, dads, children, and grandparents could all camp together in somewhat primitive surroundings. I slept in a bunk bed in a cabin with electricity and fans, a variety of insects, but no AC and I had to go outside, down a rocky path to the bath house to pee, brush teeth, and shower with more insects. Luckily most of them were not the biting kind.

Things I did at camp:
  1. Paddled a boat around a lake.
  2. Swam in a pool which was five feet at its deepest.
  3. Woke up to the ringing of the bell over the dining hall.
  4. Summoned to the dining hall for breakfast, lunch, and dinner by the ringing of the same bell.
  5. Rang the bell without getting caught.
  6. Sang camps songs I remembered as a kid.
  7. Got a little reminiscent and misty-eyed.
  8. Lay in my bunk in the dark of night and thought how easy Jason could rise up out of the lake and kill all of us.
  9. Remembered I was not a promiscuous teenager (they were always the ones who didn't make it, so in a sense those movies were morality tales).
  10. Felt a bit of anxiety for the permanent staff who were in their late teens or early twenties and hoped they were practicing abstinence.
  11. Remembered it was Jason's mom who did the killing in the first movie.
  12. Had a terror-filled moment when the door slammed unexpectedly and without any known reason.
  13. Wondered if Jason or his mom had mistaken my cabin for the permanent staff cabin.
  14. Decided my time would be better spent in prayer.
  15. Had a nice visit with God.
What did I bring from camp other than a few stowaway ants, some rocks from a dry creek bed, and a few achy muscles?

A renewed sense of the need for kindness and patience. I realized that I had gotten a bit selfish and decided to seek out three opportunities a day to serve or help someone else. This morning a friend handed me my first opportunity on a silver platter. She asked if I could drive her somewhere. I was thankful she had asked me, and I was especially thankful to be happy to do it.