"Go ask Alice when she's ten feet tall"

I thought I would introduce my children to some of the classics, beginning with "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." Good grief! Have you actually read that book? I tortured my kids for about a week and a half every night reading aloud every one of the 191 pages of the book. Am I just really dumb? Because I simply did not get it. I mean, I guess I get it if "it" is a dream or a drug-induced vision, but honestly, a classic? What makes a classic anyway? That some girl falls asleep and dreams of eating and drinking unknown substances which constantly change her size? That she gets mixed up with a deck of cards which includes the queen of hearts that has some serious anger issues? That there is no justice in the courts of law in Wonderland? That all the warm and fuzzy thoughts of Alice's older sister in the last three pages would make me forget the (and I hope this isn't literary blasphemy to say this, but here it is anyway) crap that I've just read in the previous 188 pages?
I have seen the Disney movie, and I have to say that it IS much better than the book. If anyone can tell me what I'm missing in the "Classic" reading of Alice, I wish you would. Because-honestly-I don't think it deserves the label.
Hmm, I think now I shall think about the harmful effects of Dr. Seuss' "The Cat in the Hat" Have you ever considered: the mom leaves those poor kids alone, a stranger comes in the house and wreaks havoc, and to end it all (gasp), the kids aren't even sure if they should tell their mom the goings on in her absence. Ah, well, what kind of mom was she anyway to leave her tots alone at the mercy of a malicious feline in a funny hat? Okay, okay, he cleaned up his mess, but still I think the story begs the question, what kind of family is it that the only voice of reason is a goldfish?