Space. The Final Frontier...Or is that My Space?

I am so very surprised since getting serious about this writing business about a whole universe that exists on writing. I had no idea this universe even existed! I took an online class this week on publicity. Again, another universe there. I learned such things exist as My Space, Tag lines, Press releases, Freebies, Book trailers, and such! Hey-I already knew about blogs, but just barely. Something else my teacher taught me is that I have a best friend whose name is the Internet. Who knew? So, I start (or develop or begin) a MySpace and learn that my best friend THERE is some guy named Tom. Who is Tom? I thought I had to invite friends in that particular galaxy to be in my MY Space. I can't say for sure because I'm new to all this, but I think TOM IS INVADING MY SPACE!! Who is this Tom? Is he the friend who is the friend of the newcomers and losers to My Space who have no friends? Does anybody know?
Something else that is troubling is the My Space put in my profile my city and state and I can't figure out how to get it off. Gee, I hope Tom doesn't show up at my house. He really would be invading my space then. Let me go make sure my door is locked...