Rain


I love the rain. I think a kiss in the rain is quite romantic. I came to this conclusion when I saw Streets of Fire, a movie that came out probably in the mid-eighties. The picture you see is Diane Lane and Michael Pare who starred in the movie. I remember reading an interview by Walter Hill who co-wrote the film in which he mentioned rain kissing. Thanks to Wikepedia, I found the quote: "According to Hill, the film's origins came out of a desire to make what he thought was a perfect film when he was a teenager and put in all of the things that he thought were "great then and which I still have great affection for: custom cars, kissing in the rain, neon, trains in the night, high-speed pursuit, rumbles, rock stars, motorcycles, jokes in tough situations, leather jackets and questions of honor" I have a rain scene in The Jinx, but it turned out not to be a kiss at all. The situation just didn't call for it as much as I wanted for the characters to reenact the Streets of Fire kiss.

Rain soothes me. It gives me a great excuse to stay inside and curl up with a good book as the drops hitting the roof and the ground outside serenade me. I even like the drama of thunder, lightning, and the high wind. I like these things from inside the house, maybe even on the porch where I can feel the rain. I guess you could call it an interactive experience. Or, wait, maybe you can just call it "Life." The cleansing element of rain intrigues me as well. Did you ever draw on the sidewalk with chalk? It was no biggie to leave it there. The rain would take care of it, and, hey, look! a clean slate! I went to a wedding today. The groomsmen did their duty of decorating the couples' car just before the ceremony. Then they watched in dismay as a storm blew through and destroyed all their hard work. Wouldn't it be nice if our problems or difficulties could be washed away so easily? Alas, they are not chalk and shoe polish. But there's nothing wrong with finding that little corner, tucking yourself away, and contemplating the rain, and imagining how cool it would be to transform those issues into chalk and smiling in satisfaction when the clouds gather.
"Oh, goody! I'm about to have a clean slate!"